Sunday, March 15, 2015

Dillard the Dog


Dillard is by far the sweetest dog I have ever had and I am linking up with these wonderful bloggers this weekend so that you can meet him!  

My husband and I rescued Dillard in the summer of 2013. The idea of getting a dog that summer came to me as I had just finished the school year and thought it would be the perfect time to have a little four legged addition to our family.  I started the conversation over dinner and by the time we were cleaning the dishes my husband had his laptop out and was searching for dogs! Just a short hour later we came across a picture of this little guy named Dill.  My husband has this crazy sense about “things being meant to be” and when he saw Dill's photo he turned to me and said “that’s our dog!” That next weekend, we went to meet him and just a few short days later they brought him to our house and the rest is history!

Originally his name was Dill, but with my husband being Will we decided to call him Dillard. We adopted him from Rural Dog Rescue, a non-profit organization that rescues dogs from high-kill shelters and relocates them back to the Washington D.C. area to be adopted. We were told that Dillard came from somewhere in North Carolina and when we first got him he was really nervous around men and people wearing. Now, almost two years later he has become so much more comfortable around men and loves my husband!  He has been, and will always be my shadow – If I am home this little guy will not leave my side! 

Dillard loves belly rubs, sun bathing, a nice big blanket to snuggle up in, and a little squeaking pig toy we call "Squeaker" (real original, I know!). But, his most favorite thing in the world is food! You say the word "dinner" and he wiggles with excitement. I could go on and on about this little guy and his big personality, but the biggest thing is that he brings so much joy to our lives. He puts a smile on our face each and every day.  I hope these pictures of him will bring a smile to your face as well! :) 


My students know all about Dillard as he’s often the topic of many short story examples that I model during writing workshop. He is also the topic of conversation at many “lunch bunches” I have with my students. Not to mention, Dillard has been the subject for some great 2nd grade artists! The more I talk about him, the more my students get to know about me and it really helps build a positive relationship with them.  

Dogs are often a big theme in a lot of story problems during math in our class! Using dogs in my math problems helps the students see the connection to math in the real world and also gets them excited about trying new math challenges.  I have created a packet of 20 word problems focusing around the topic of dogs.  My students love finding Dillard in a few of the problems and they also enjoy it when they see some of their dog's names in the problems too. 


This packet includes 20 problems involving; place value, number sense, skip counting, rounding, ways to construct numbers, ordinal numbers and much more! You can print and use them any way you would like; for homework, a word problem challenge center, math notebooks, or math warm-ups! Make sure to visit my TpT store to get your copy! In honor of our pet linky I have put a few items on sale until March 18th. Make sure to catch these word problems on sale before time runs out!

Don't forget to enter for the big Rafflecopter giveaway too!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


I hope you enjoyed learning all about Dillard! Click below to visit others who have linked up to share stories about their favorite pet, favorite pet products, and much more! 




5 comments:

  1. Dillard on the pool raft is HILARIOUS!!! What cute pics!! Dillard looks like such a sweetie :)
    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, he is sooooo cute! I LOVE your dog themed problem solving product! I have got to go get that! Thanks so much for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly Dillard is so adorable!!!! Thank you for linking up with us today.
    Take Care, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie, I love your blog! I'm currently hosting a giveaway and was hoping you would be so kind to donate a product. It's a fundraiser for Autism that will take place from April 1 -30. Please hop on over to my blog for more info.
    Thanks!!
    -Melanie
    Teacher’s Lounge

    ReplyDelete