Friday, October 23, 2015

Five for Friday

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to give you a huge update! I have been MIA the past few weeks an here is why...
WE MOVED! Whoa moving with a baby is tough! I am a super productive person, ask any teacher or girlfriend of mine and they will tell you I get it done! Moving with a baby though... not so productive! It has taken me weeks to unpack, organize, and begin decorating. However, I am trying to tell myself to just relax and know that my to do list will most likely not be done by the the time I go to bed each night. Most importantly though, I am trying to just slow down, take a breath, and take in all these special moments and memories my family is creating in our new home.


We just finished our first DIY home reno! So I dream to be Joanna Gaines from the HGTV Fixer Upper. We didn't quite buy a 85K home that is falling to the ground and ready for Joanna's amazing flip... it is a livable home but we have a L-O-N-G list of things we would like to do to it to make it ours. The biggest reno on our list is to take down a wall between the kitchen and dinning room and then completely redo the kitchen but we are going to get more settled before the project starts. 
BEFORE
However, my husband took a week of work (which was meant to be for a 3 year wedding anniversary trip AND THEN we bought a house instead). So day one of his first day off he goes to paint and change the old wooden towel bar and soap dish attached to the wall. About 10 minutes later he walks out and says he is going to rip out the old vanity and replace the tile. Now I am not gonna fuss because I didn't love the bathroom and I was secretly wishing for it to get a face lift. But to make a long story short after about a week, lots of youtube DIY tile, drywall, and plumping videos and a few "What the heck were we thinking?!?!" moments we have a beautiful new bathroom done completely by my husband, my own personal Chip Gaines :)

AFTER
This week I also discovered HOBBY LOBBY!!! So it is basically my dream come true, a little bit of Michael's meets Home Goods and I was in heaven! The bad news is that it is over 20 miles from my house so I can't just do a quick drop in to check out their newest home accents. My husband and our bank account are happy that it is not a hop, skip, and a jump from our new house. If you haven't visited a Hobby Lobby yet you better Goggle the closest one to you and GO! 
Here are a few signs that I found for our playroom!
OK, enough with all the home talk...back to business! I finally finished putting together my American Indians Bulletin Board and Sorting Cards SET! After about a year of teaching this Virginia Standards of Learning unit I realized I need a visual for my students to see and touch because it is a lot of new vocabulary and some of the tribes have a lot in common. I created a graphic organizer type bulletin board that organized all of in the information in sort of a grid.
When displaying this bulletin board, I first start with just the banner across the top. As I introduce each region and tribe I add the large region headers to bulletin board. Along the left side, I also include the cards that describe what we will learn about each tribe (region, land, climate, tribe, homes, occupations, transportation, and contributions). The detailed cards about each region and tribe are then added as we work through this unit in social studies. I use Velcro on these 24 cards so students can take them down, shuffle them, and organize them back on the board in order to make this bulletin board more interactive. I also have a printable for the students that looks very similar to the large bulletin board so they can have their own visual to keep in their notebooks or do at home for homework. 
I just added it to my store this week so you can check it out here if you teach American Indians in your grade level. I will be adding my American Indian task cards to my store soon! 

Last, but not least, I have been blogging over at www.virginiaisforteachers.com once a month!
It is a collaborate blog by teachers from all over the state of Virginia! Last month I blogged about the importance of brain breaks and how to manage brain breaks in your own classroom.
Tomorrow I have a post going up about the importance of art in social studies! Make sure to stop by and check it out! Just a little hint... if you teach American Indians and the American Indian Bulletin Board interested you, you won't want to miss the blog post!

I hope to get back on my blogging routine now that we are more settled in our new house, so I will see you soon!

8 comments:

  1. Happy moving to you! I know that it can get soooo tiring (especially UNpacking), but it'll be worth it in due in! Love the reno!

    ♥ Stephanie
    Fishing for Education Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It definitely will be worth it the end :)

      Delete
  2. I have an infant and cannot imagine moving. Thinking about outgrowing our house in 3-4 years stresses me out soo kudos to you!! Your bathroom looks super cute. I wish JoJo and Chip could come do renos up north!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know it would be amazing if these would come do some renos here on the east coast! Texas is so far away but I want to go see her new warehouse she just opened!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Love the bathroom...what a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! One reno off our to do list! Many more to go :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new home! Beautiful bathroom, job well done! Enjoy it!

    Jayme
    Teach Talk Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a Hobby Lobby right across the street from my new house and it is DANGEROUS!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete